Monday, November 18, 2013

House/Life Changes ...

Happy Monday Morning my sweet blog friends ... Change is in the air and I feel it is time I share with you what is happening in my little part of the world.

I am really going to try and not be too wordy, I know we really just like to look at pretty photos!


In September Don and I sold our Farm Road house.  I consider this the house where our family grew up together.  With Don traveling so much, Erin and Callie off to college and Christopher and Sammy only with us every other week ... we were starting to feel "house overwhelmed".  Mostly this was me ... Alot of the time it was just me and our dogs.

We actually put our home on the market back in May.  Nothing happened and before Callie's graduation in early June I asked Don to take the For Sale sign out of the yard.  He kind of looked at me ... and said "ok."  Just one of the reasons I love him so much, he really didn't press me ... I just told him it wasn't the right time.  I truly felt something was not right.  So off we went along to our summer routine, kids in and out and the house was full.  

Slowly the nest started emptying again, Erin left for Auburn in early August.  We moved Callie into Bucknell mid-August.  School started for Sammy and Christopher and Don was on the road. Alot.

Then, probably the most significant change that took place.  In September Murphy died.  We had a dog trainer when Murphy was a puppy and one thing he told me is that every dog needs a job.  I really didn't understand this until now.  Murphy's job was to patrol our yard every morning and every night.  I used to tell the kids that Murphy is letting all the little creatures know he is watching and listening as he literally circled the property barking twice a day.  At the same time. Each morning and each night.

It hit me that Murphy was the reason we couldn't sell the house in May.  This was his home.  He made his last rounds this past September.  
He had done his job and he had done it very well. 

Two weeks later we put our house on the market on a Monday.  It sold on Tuesday Night.  I do believe things happen for a reason and I should listen to my instincts more often!

We have been on the hunt and I think quite possibly seen every home on the market in the two town area where we live and want to stay for Christopher and Sammy to finish school.

We found one just a mile away from our Farm Road house ... which is sort of weird.  But it is time for us to move on!  I am a little shy of sharing because it isn't signed and sealed yet.



Okay, this isn't the one we chose ...  But we did look at the land!
Don and I are a little like wanderers.  We like change and we like new "house" adventures.
  
We are calling this next one the 5-year Plan.  Or Forever.  How does one really know?



Feeling pretty positive about this down sizing ... 
Yep, Changes are coming and I hope you'll enjoy the ride with us!

Making the World More Beautiful.  One Room at a Time.

Sharing a post on one of my favorite Paris Trips with Sandy today!

xo,

kim

29 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you, Kim! We have some big changes on the horizon for our family too. Cannot say just yet...waiting for the official word. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor Murphy! My house is slowly emptying out too.. so sad, and I have two dogs that I too will probably keep this yard for until they are gone! so glad you were able to move one and find a smaller version of your great home!!
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the move! I will keep my fingers crossed. Poor Murphy. What a sweet, wonderful boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im really excited for your new chapter in life and it was so sweet of you to let Murphy rule that yard and not sell it in May, rest his soul. Your new home is your new mini me- it will be great!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see your stamp on this new house! And that is so sweet that Murphy had his job...makes me think twice about getting mad at my dog for barking all day in our yard. I guess he is just letting the little creatures (and whole neighborhood) know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations.....
    Life changes and we all evolve!!!!
    New beginnings keep up young and alive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! I always wonder if I will want to down size when my youngest is off to college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I teared up when I read this. Change is inevitable but sometimes it's bittersweet. Good luck on getting your new home and can't wait to share your adventures with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the right attitude -- things happen for a reason! So sorry to hear about Murphy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excited for you and Don on this new adventure Kim! Totally understand the 'heartache' of letting go of home after a while,but I also am aware that this comes to all of us at some point in our lives. I'm very happy that all your children are getting on with what seems to be bright and happy futures, and you both should continue to do so too, even if it means moving on to a smaller and manageable home! I'm with you every step of the way Kim, wish you all the best! CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great news! My post today was about moving as well! Cheers to new house adventures together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excited to hear the news...and looking forward to following along your journey of making this new house your new home. I am sure you will embrace this new life chapter with grace and style...as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on this new chapter in your life, Kim! I cannot wait to follow your new adventures! And I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet Murphy.

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post Kim. So well written! I am sorry about Murphy and I know change is hard but it can be wonderful too! I look forward to watching your new adventure from Chicago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry about Murphy. Isn't it funny, the habits they have? I'm excited for your change. I am sure you will love decorating and making this new house HOME.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As we are in the process of selling our house and moving--and I have an old dog who is having more trouble getting around by the day--the part about Murphy choked me up. Good luck finding your next house! I'm off to read about your Paris trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you all the best as you make this move...you'll have a new canvas on which to create a masterpiece! Elle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Kim...this post made me cry...for Murphy, for kids growing up and leaving the nest, and for life moving on...but it also made me happy for you that you are able to move on to the next phase of your life. Having been in my home for 20 years and thinking of the need to downsize sooner rather than later, I can really feel all of your emotions. Your new home is lovely and it will be fun to begin to decorate your new home.

    Thank you so much for linking your excellent post about Paris at my link party today - I love the pictures of the flea and love the pic of you and Don (and your gorgeous coat!).

    Have a wonderful week...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keep us posted- I think downsizing is awesome, and this is an opportunity for you to be your own client!! post about it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this is so exciting. Good for you to look at it like an adventure. I'm sure it will work out and I can't wait to see the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You got me all choked up with this one, Kim! We have our own Murphy and aren't sure how much longer she'll be with us. So sorry to hear about YOUR Murphy.
    Good luck with the house hunt! Can't wait to hear about all your changes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How exciting . . . a new chapter! I know you'll make it beautiful in no time and can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm one of the wimpy ones, too ~ your story brought me to tears. So happy you were all able to enjoy one last summer at your beautiful home together. I know you'll have a wonderful time making your new place 'yours.' Sending you a hug, sweet friend!

    Btw, Rio's jobs are bringing in the paper in the morning and mail at night ~ she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its always good to look at the positive things in life...looking at a move like an adventure is a great idea....You are so creative... think about all the new challenges and decorating projects you will have....very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful story. It made me tear up as well. I like to believe everything happens at the perfect time for the perfect reasons--God's plan--not ours. Best wishes on this new exciting chapter to your life!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my Kim. I'm all tears. What a moving story. I know your next chapter in you new home will be just as magical. Congratulations on your move! xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. The new house is so charming, Kim! I'm so happy for you that the sale of your house fell into place timing-wise. Isn't it amazing how that worked out? Murphy got to finish his life in his home and you got to enjoy the summer at the big house with the kids around. Now you'll have fun nesting and they'll come back and make it all HOME again. Maybe it's time for a new pup for the new abode :) Santa brought us a puppy once…..I bet he would do the same for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats to you Kim, sounds like a timely and appropriate change. And I do believe things happen for a reason, Murphy had a love for that place and left his mark. The new house is so similar to my CSIL's! You'll have to check out all of the projects she did to update hers…..!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think this sounds exciting and you have a great attitude about all of it. On to new exciting things my friend! Congrats to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...