Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chair Addiction ... The Reality!

Hi My name is Kim Macumber and I have a Chair (and possible sofa!) Addiction.  And no matter how many steps I go through ... I am not certain I will every overcome this.

Some people (my Husband) might call this hoarding.  I have no idea what he is thinking.
I am saving history and being the most "green" a person can be.  Repurposing.  Whether I have the immediate purpose or not.  That is NOT the point.

So ... back to my addiction ... as I might not be the only one with this I thought I should share a little "new" source for you.  

This is a Louis XVI settee ... you know how I know this?  Well, I just know this ... but you know how I can find out things I don't know about styles and era's? I go here.


Perhaps you just buy things because you like them?  I have no issue with this.  You don't really care whether the styles you love are Mid-Century Modern, Louis XVI, or Baroque.

But maybe when you are sitting around with the gals having a few glasses of wine, you cannot imagine the delight you will see in their eyes when you announce that you picked up this fabulous Louis XVI Chair over the weekend for a steal ... they will get wide-eyed with the whole mystery of the thing.

My husband does not give me this reaction.  You need serious friends for this!

This is a 1960 reproduction of a Bergère ... that was from my parents home.  Free to me.
And when I got it ... brown paisley.  Not my scene.


The orange leather hide was a find for $85.00 while looking for something completely different.  That is when it happens.  I had no idea what the future held for it.  But then there it was.  You can read more about this chair's adventure here.  And yes, I particularly like real furniture in the yard.

Then these two ... Fauteuils which I found at Brimfield.  I paid $250 for the pair.  I didn't haggle at all.  I was a neophyte.  My first Brimfield trip and my first ever purchase there.  I was in unknown territory and I wanted them.  Badly.  

All re-done and Red Cat Like.  


Once I started getting the hang of things I started working the system. 

 I am still uncomfortable with this.  Louis XVI Settee for $300.  Scored it for $150.  Erin was with me and we found this disaster in the field.  When I was taking it apart to recover it I found a petrified mouse.  No lie.  I immediately took it to my professional.  Some things you just have to send to others. 
 I know my limit.

I had this done for Erin's room.  She loves it and I know it will travel with her through life. All remnants of the mouse are long gone.


We had it recovered (re-built!) in an embroidered white cotton to keep it fun and flirty.  The best part is that she was with me when we were loading up the car with crazy items.  This was the last piece ... we made it fit.  You can read about this here.

So ... in my beautiful world ...  she will remember our adventure that day every time she looks or sits in this settee.  The Best part.

I have been a long supporter and shopper on OKL ... but now love the fact that they are not only a good shopping resource but you can actually learn a little about all the fabulous things that draw your attention.

Makes the whole game more fun!  Thanks OKL!
Next time your looking for something specific or want to know what it is that you have and love.  You have a new resource.  Use it!

Making the World More Beautiful.  One Room at a Time.

xo,

kim

9 comments:

  1. I'm happy to know I'm in good company with my chair hoarding addiction! Wish they were easier to store! Love your settee story...eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a crazy chair addiction problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl I too have a chair addiction! Sounds like it's an epidemic! Love the OKL furniture info resource, i recently made their acquaintance as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great "mouse" story to hand down to generations to come!!!
    Thanks for the heads up on OKL information feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your chairs Kim, so perfectly styled and remade. The OKL Resource center is a great idea and can help more people know what theyre looking at and how to pinpoint great finds! Enjoy your day!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hosting a stencil giveaway if you're interested!

    Current giveaway: A stencil! Our Journey Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness you are preaching to the choir on this post! My kids had nightmares about some of the beauties I had them hawl home! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great chairs! Thanks for the info about OKL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh kim - im so with you. occassional chairs, utilitarian chairs, side chairs, club chairs, i love them ALL! kindreds

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...