Monday, September 23, 2013

House Tour ... the Family Room

When we moved into our Farm Road house in 2007 I had visions of a Mid-Century Modern Living Room.  You know, where you sit all pretty on a teal velvet tuxedo sofa and sip martinis with your friends sipping with you and conversing in a very interesting manner.

Here's what happened ... I'll fill you in on some of the pieces as we go ... 



Kantha Quilt.  Brimfield Find. Duralee Fabric on Windows and Pillows.

So the room sat virtually empty with only pieces of random furniture and a baby grand piano for about 2 years.

Sad, Before State ... 


Then it was Thanksgiving and we were going to be having Christmas at our house.  For two years we let the largest "living" room in the house sit unused. Stupid.

Don, the kids and I (bad grouping) went to a big box store and bought the deal of the day ... Sofa, Loveseat and a TV for $1999.00.

Yep, we did it, I was horrified and stomped through the store having my own pity party.


Art. Mike Elsass. Abstracts on Metal.

Fake, Faux, Leather Sofas.  Oversized and COMFY.  The kids couldn't be more thrilled.  Don was keeping us on a budget.  I complained that "I am an interior DECORATOR" We cannot have these in our homes.  Besides, we would be throwing them out in a year because they would fall apart and would be gross and he would be SORRY.

Note to my clients that have husbands' that won't give up the leather sectional.  I get it!  



Antique French Step Ladder.

Just because I didn't win the sofa debate ... I marched forward bringing in color and warmth in every other aspect that I could.  One day they will be gone (PLEASE) ... but I kind of like the way the room turned out!

The Faux Grouping has held up to popcorn, pizza, snacks, kids lounging in all manners and the room gets used.  While I am still on a mission to change the sofas, the room makes me smile.  

I even carved out my own little corner.


Chair, Brimfield Find.
Secretary, English Antiques, Atlanta.

This Secretary has served as an office, homework spot and all the school notebook paper, index cards, pencils etc have a nice place to live.  Thank the Lord!


Peacock Lamp. Brimfield Find. Antique Family Bibles.

The TV is over the fireplace and we NEVER use this fireplace ... so here's where I have a little fun changing up the look each season.


Brass Planter.  Estate Sale Find.

I believe we all have pieces of furniture that probably aren't our first pick.  But in this true "family" room ... we are all happy and I don't have a freak if anyone spills or puts their feet on the table.  

Real Life.

Making the World More Beautiful.  One Room at a Time.

xo,

kim

17 comments:

  1. I know so many people can relate to this story. Look how stylish your corner is. The good news is that it did not cost a fortune, so it last's as long as it last's. I just got rid of our 'practical' sofa. It had good memories and that's what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is great for those of us who can't convince our husbands or a client to nix the 3 piece set. You did a fabulous job making the room look great and personal despite the auspicious foundation pieces. And yay for upholstery of steel in a much used family room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story sounds all too familiar Kim! I still have our leather sectional and poofy sofa and love seat down in our basement and it has held up well to parties, playdates, spills, etc. Your set actually has a nicer shape than mine, so with all the great patterns you added (and art), I say this room is lived-in and loved - by ALL OF YOU! And that to me, is what makes a Family room perfect for a family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what they say about the shoemaker's children not having any shoes? Seriously, I think your room looks so cozy and inviting, and using your mad decorating skills you picked out sofas for your family room that look fantastic in the setting. I love your little "corner" too.

    Have a lovely Monday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, we can all so relate! I think sofas are sometimes the hardest items to agree upon. Honestly, yours looks way better than some I've seen. Mine is not fabulous by any means and it's the first thing you see when you walk in our house. Need a new one very soon.

    Love how comfortable and cozy you made the room. I'm sure no one notices or cares about the sofas like you do! Beautiful room, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post! So, so true. Now that the kids are all over 50!, Yes, my babies are all over 50, I have my white sofa. It's comfy, recovered from the practical color....it was bought in 1968 . When we recovered it three years ago, I was told it will hold up for at least another 40+ years. But believe it or not, I have been able to remove all spills and have no stains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a good sport my dear and I think you've made it look great. I love your curtains and that secretary is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made so many compromises in the interest of being kid-proof. Why would you want that custom teal tuxedo sofa to get messed up? I get it.
    I love your pretty, sassy corner too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're making it all work and that's what a true designer does!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BRAVO, you are real and so is your house. You have added Kim touches for sure, I see them all around the room. My leather navy blue sofa and chair in my family room isn't my greatest accomplishment, but it is what it is! Have a great week.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I smiled reading this post! I think it turned out lovely despite having to buy matching sets of budget furniture. It would have gone down the same way at our house, but honestly I love that it's comfortable and fits a real family, that makes the design better, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look how talented you are to pull together that great look, there are a lot of wives out there that would be grateful to have their 'set' look as stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all let's be honest here you did a fantastic job with the big box store furniture and function always trumps pretty design in my book. you need a place where you can all curl up on a sofa watch movies together and eat popcorn and get cozy. This room says there is beauty and lots of family love going on in here -- I love it!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your little secretary corner. It looks so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is when true talent comes through...Making something look great when you have to.....and you pulled all together....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for my lack of commenting lately. I'm trying to get use to this Bloglovin environment. Your room looks warm and inviting. I love your chair from Brimfield!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim, I think you've done a fantastic job of making lemonade from lemons. And I would know. I think as decorators we've all had a chance to work with big leather sofas. That's where your talent and ideas take it to the next level. I think your living room is lovely and completely welcoming. Show it off with pride!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...